When you run a business in the Twin Cities area, maintaining the health of your commercial roof is essential to the overall health of your business. And one of the best ways to protect your business is with a high-performance EPDM roof from A-Plus Roofing.
EPDM roofing has proven to be a reliable form of roofing with the capacity to last well over 20 years if properly installed, which is why many businesses in the Minneapolis area choose EPDM roof installation over other material options.
In this post from the commercial roofing pros at A-Plus Roofing, we’re breaking down everything you need to know about EPDM. To schedule your roofing services, call or contact us online today!
What Is EPDM Roofing?
EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Terpolymer, a type of synthetic rubber with a wide range of uses and applications. It is manufactured using propylene and ethylene derived from petroleum products.
A copolymer with elastic and viscous properties, EPDM is commonly found in the construction and automotive industries due to its strong resistance to thermal changes, UV radiation, and ozone. Unlike other types of rubber, it is far more flexible and won’t become brittle or degrade when exposed to weather and time.
Most Common EPDM Applications
The same qualities that make EPDM perfect for the following most common applications also make it ideal for use in commercial roofing.
- Electrical gaskets
- Car door and window seals
- Playground flooring
- Deck coating
Typically, EPDM is used in commercial flat roofs, but it can also be used on other types of low-slope commercial and residential roofs like patio covers, garages, and carports.
Benefits of EPDM Roofing
When it comes to long-term performance in the Twin Cities area, EPDM has demonstrated its ability to outperform its competition.
These are just a few reasons we at A-Plus roofing contractors continue to recommend EPDM for Minnesota businesses:
- EPDM roofs will last longer than many other roofing materials.
- It resists hail better than most roofs.
- Its fire-resistant properties are some of the best in the industry.
- EPDM is highly resistant to strong winds.
- An EPDM roof is easier to maintain.
- Its energy efficiency lowers heating and cooling costs and reduces a company’s carbon footprint.
Potential Disadvantages of EPDM Roofing
- This roofing material is relatively fragile when installed in the wrong environment and may result in a reduction in its lifespan.
- EPDM is relatively poor in the resistance to petroleum-based fuels, and non-polar solvents.
- Longer exposure to a hot environment can cause a rubber roof to shrink over time, resulting in leaks.
Maintenances Tips for an EPDM Roof
You must maintain an EPDM roof regularly if you choose to install it. So take a look at these pointers to keep yours in tip-top form!
- Inspections should be done every 3-4 months.
- Remove any dirt or debris.
- Walk around the roof carefully, looking for any cracks, tears, blisters, or other deformation.
- Check for evidence of damage in the EPDM at vents, seams, chimneys, skylights, and any other potential weak places.
- Ensure that you mark any damaged places.
- Any faults you see should be addressed by a roofing professional.
Factors to Consider When Choosing EPDM Roofing Material
Now that you have read the advantages and disadvantages of using EPDM for your roofing, there are things you should consider before deciding to adopt this roofing material. Take a look at some of them below.
What Type of Roof Do You Have?
When installing EPDM roofing, endeavor to check the best material that works with your structure type. Some products are categorized by roofing types, such as RV roofing and commercial building roofing materials. So, make sure you select the correct product for the job.
How Big Is Your Roof?
Because you'd have to buy many materials, some items are only supplied in small amounts and may not be cost-effective for a larger task. It's crucial to keep this in mind when selecting supplies to ensure you have enough for a complete EPDM installation.
Can You Afford to Use Premium Solutions?
EPDM installation does not end in just installation. Maintenance comes in once in a while.
After the installation, you need to continue your roof maintenance with the best materials in the market to avoid compromising the integrity of your roof in the long run. If you do not know the best materials, invite a professional EPDM installer.
Schedule Our Twin Cities EPDM Installation Services Today
Are you ready to save money with a high-performance EPDM roof installation for your business or facility, or are you warming up for a commercial roof repair in the Twin Cities area? At A-Plus Roofing, we specialize in roofing services for commercial operations in the Twin Cities area, including EPDM, TPO, etc.
Get in touch with our commercial roof experts to get started. To get an online estimate and schedule your Twin Cities commercial roofing services, call to connect with our team at 952-894-5435 or contact us online. Schedule your EPDM installation services today!